Toronto Arrows cruise past the Seawolves

Seattle Seawolves made the trip up north to Canada to take on the Toronto Arrows in what was a windy afternoon in Toronto. The windy conditions had a huge impact on both teams and how the game played out.

Toronto controlled the game initially and had the lion’s share of possession and territory pinning the Seawolves in their own half for much of the
opening 20 minutes. Seattle countered this by trying to kick their way up the field however the wind and some poor kicking execution hampered this.

After passing up 2 previous opportunities to go for the posts, Toronto eventually decided to go for goal when awarded a penalty. Sam Malcolm slotted over an easy penalty to make the score 3-0 after 25 minutes. The Seawolves had their first real attack of the game on the 27th minute and looked like they could have scored but they were stopped short just shy of the Toronto try line with a turn over at the ruck and the Arrows subsequently cleared their lines.

It took 33 minutes for the opening try of the game with lock Mike Sheppard showing great strength and determination to bulldoze over in the corner despite the best efforts of Seattle fullback Mat Turner.
This left the score at 8-0 to Toronto going into half time. The Seawolves would have been some what pleased given the percentage of possession the Arrows had and they only trailed by 8 points.

Second half

The second half started off with the Arrows bursting out from the blocks. On the 44th minute, Leandro Leivas smashed through the Seattle defence to touch down underneath the posts for an easy conversion making the score 15-0 to the Arrows.

The Seawolves had their best period of the game shortly after this. The introduction of players off the bench most notably Eric Duechle seemed to up the ante with the Seawolves stringing more passes together than they did in the first half.

On the 62nd minute, Shalom Suniula showed great ingenuity as he side stepped and shuffled a couple of times before touching down for a great solo effort to keep the Seawolves to within 8 points at 15-7.

Toronto overcame Seattle’s purple patch on the 70th minute captain Dan Moor showed incredible pace to beat Seattle fullback Mat Turner on the outside and touch down for the perfect wingers try.

Toronto were flying high at this stage and pulled away even further when lock Paul Ciulini crashed over the line from close in for an easy seven pointer. This left the score at 29-7 with just over 5 minutes to play and that is how it ended.

Toronto having secured the winning bonus point do not move up in the standings but they crucially move to within 4 points of the playoff spot.

Published by

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: